Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Restaurant Week: Smith and Wollensky


So restaurant week is here. My wallet is empty. My belly is full. Since becoming aware of this lovely week, around three years ago I have firmly kept myself to just three meals out. However great the deals are, dropping 20 or 35 dollars respectively on a meal eventually adds up. This week I picked three spots: Smith and Wollensky for lunch Tuesday, Zengo for dinner Wednesday, and Mie n Yu for dinner Friday. For me restaurant week provides opportunities to accomplish a number of different goals. In order of importance: STEAK, trying a new restaurant, and indulging in an old favorite. I will address the latter two as the week progresses but first: Steak.

Steak is of course at the top of the list. Having a decent steak at a restaurant is generally an expensive affair. Factor in an appetizer, a side, and maybe a glass of wine and the bank is well broke. Restaurant week permits me to indulge in a fantastic cut of meat at restaurants that I certainly cannot usually eat at. There are a number of great places to get a steak during restaurant week: Charlie Palmers, Capital Grill, and my choice Smith and Wollensky.

The Smith and Wollensky meal includes a choice of salad, slice of meat, and delicious dessert. I went with the Wollensky Signature Salad (A delicious affair involving bacon, mushrooms, potatoes, romaine lettuce, and a dijon vinaigrette), the Filet of Beef (more later), and Creme Brulee. I paired it with a rather tasty Cab Sav. The salad was delectable and a nice prelude to the main event. The beef was immaculate. Crusty and grilled on the outside, but tender and juicy on the inside. I couldn't taste anything but salt, pepper, and delicious meat, which is how a good steak should be. It was accompanied by a generous portion of creamed spinach and fingerling potatoes. A smooth and delectable Creme Brulee capped off a fantastic meal.


One of the great things I've found at S & W is that the service, no matter the occasion is impeccable. While many restaurants seem begrudging about restaurant week, unhappy to have to serve their exclusive food to every day rabble, the staff here was notable cheery and welcoming. They see it, as most restuarants should, as an opportunity to expand their clientele. One of the servers even handed me a sumptuous chocolate covered strawberry on the way. Ultimately, a very satisfying lunch that sufficed for breakfast and dinner as well. A tremendously good omen for the remainder of restaurant week

No comments: