Monday, September 14, 2009

Fresh Grounds: Bourbon Coffee


All things considered, I'm probably more of a "tea person", but there is just something about coffee shops that transcends the beverage around which they are built. Whether its their haloed place in the American morning routine, or their inexplicable knack (Starbucks excluded) for pulling off the cliched "coffee shop" ambiance time and time again, there really is no denying their allure. Even more so is this the case in a city, where their warm atmosphere and inviting armchairs often constitute the closest thing in town to reading around the fireplace.

While I had passed Bourbon Coffee a handful of times over the summer, I managed to resist dropping in for a cupa until about a week ago, when my partner-in-coffee finally made it back to DC for the semester. It always looked like a neat spot from what I saw in the windows, and now I am pleased to be able to say, that in this case, looks are not deceiving. Located on L Street, between 21st and New Hampshire, Bourbon Coffee is (from what I understand) the first, and at the moment, only, US location of what was originally a Rwandan chain. Opened in late 2008, Bourbon offers five varieties of "crop to cup" African beans (as well as a litany of other coffee shop staples) in a comfortable open atmosphere, replete with a fantastic assortment of handmade African art.

I had a cup of their Virunga coffee, aptly named for the Virunga Mountain Region from which it originates, as well as a blueberry scone. As one could assume, the coffee was terrific, and I was pleasantly surprised to find the scone to be the perfect combination of chewy and flaky as well.


Foggy bottom really only boasts a smattering of solid coffee joints, so next time you're feeling the need to take a break from the grande carmel mocha-somethings, I highly recommend Bourbon Coffee as a quality local alternative .

No comments: