Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Check it Out: Kotobuki


Sushi. Some love it and can’t get enough, while others just can’t get past the idea of eating raw fish. Me, I fall into the former category (though I’m not trying to pull a Jeremy Piven here, no thanks mercury poisoning). As such, a few weeks ago I was thrilled to discover my new favorite sushi place in DC: Kotobuki.

Located at 4822 MacArthur Blvd., NW, Kotobuki is only a short walk from George Washington’s Mount Vernon campus, and offers amazingly fresh sushi at a reasonable price.

While Kotobuki is the upstairs neighbor from upscale Makoto, a rather high-end, intimate Japanese joint, Kotobuki has a decidedly more laid back and casual vibe. Just as you walk upstairs you get your first treat (for me at least), because playing over their sound system is music exclusively by The Beatles (early Beatles to be precise). I went with a friend and we waited for less than 10 minutes before being seated.


I was extremely hungry so I ended up ordering a miso soup, and two maki rolls (splitting a 3rd maki roll). The food was prepared quickly, and it was all delicious. The miso soup (not usually my favorite) was incredibly light and flavorful. And the sushi itself was overwhelming. Every roll that I tried was excellent, but I’d have to say my favorite was the Spicy Tuna. Generally one of my favorite rolls, Kotobuki did it to perfection. The food was delicious and it wasn’t outrageously expensive. Two and a half rolls, a miso soup, and a Sapporo ran me close to $20, but I was full and satisfied.

If you’re tired of settling for sub-par DC sushi make the journey to Kotobuki, its a trip you won’t regret.

No comments: