Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Check it Out: Thai X-ing


Have you ever had a dining experience, where merely obtaining your meal was such a complicated and involved process, that you began to wonder if “this meal could possibly be worth all this hassle”? Well folks, a few weeks ago, I had just such an experience. My patience was tested, my hunger too. In the end though, it all paid off, and the results were phenomenal. It didn't hurt either that the cuisine was Thai (one of my all-time favorites). The scene of the crime: one Thai X-ing.

Located on 5th and Georgia NW, in a townhouse basement, this tiny, and I mean tiny (only 13 customers can eat-in at any one time) gem of a restaurant is the very definition of a "hole in the wall". The first time I stumbled across it, I had been on the hunt for a late night dinner and inadvertently wandered into this basement restaurant. My attempt to order dinner was met with the news that I needed to call back tomorrow between noon and four. Confused and feeling a lot like a tourist I backed away and pledged to unravel the mystery of Thai X-ing.


With a renewed sense of purpose, the next day I called back and finally (after getting a busy signal about 20 times) was able to leave a message with my order and the time I wanted to eat. Slightly perplexed, but still intrigued, I began to wait, until about an hour later I finally received a call back. I wanted to pick up my food around 7 but was told that that time would be no good and that 8 was better. Again this amused me, but by this point I was beginning to learn that this sort of waiting game was par for the course at Thai X-ing, so when I arrived at Thai X-ing later that night around 8:15 and was told to come back in half an hour I just rolled with it. At 8:45 I came back and waited yet another half an hour, this time I was permitted to wait inside the restaurants "lobby", and from there I was able to observe the owner / chef of the establishment preparing my food in the kitchen not 15 feet away. The tantalizing aromas wafting from the depths of the basement were becoming almost too much to bear, when at long last (now an hour after I had arrived) my food was ready and I could take it home.

When I got home I was curious. This food better be more than good (more than great for that matter) after all the trouble I went through to get it. And when the time finally came for me to eat it ,much to my relief, it was amazing—beyond amazing. I ordered a Shrimp Himalai--Stir-fried shrimp with cashews, celery and snow peas, which was delicious. The ingredients were fresh, flavorful, and each bite was full of delicious vegetables and juicy shrimp. The portions aren't enormous, but for $11 it wasn’t too expensive either.

Despite the hassle, the food was totally worth the wait. With Thai X-ing patience certainly is a virtue, so if you have a day to commit to getting amazing Thai food, Thai X-ing is well worth the adventure.

No comments: