Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Sunday Dinner: Mumbo Gumbo


Sorry for the absence, but last week I was down in South Carolina - sans internet - on vacation with the family. While there though, I was inspired to try my hand at a southern favorite that would be perfect for this week's Sunday Dinner. I am speaking of course about gumbo. A food that most are familiar with by name, but fall short when it comes to actually describing the dish. A soup? A stew over rice? Whatever it is, it's delicious, and for that reason if you're lookin to do some cookin I'd highly recommend you check this recipe out.


Andouille Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo

In case you don't notice it, the recipe yields 12 servings, so just a heads up but you will probably want to adjust the measurements accordingly. Also, I added okra in place of the celery and that worked out quite nicely, so feel free to play around with what you are throwing in as far as vegetables go.

For a beverage to pair with your gumbo, the linked website recommends a good beer, and while I can't disagree with that, if you're in more of a wine mood you ought to think about a Malbec, like this one, that you can find down at Watergate Wine & Beverage

No comments: