Saturday, June 12, 2010

Check it Out: Sichuan Pavilion


So its been about 2 months since my last post, and I apologize for that, but the truth of the matter is that I haven't eaten any food since mid-February... really, I promise.

Well, maybe not. The real truth is that I've been busy. Like really busy. So busy, that despite having discovered a host of fantastic new eateries in and around the District, I have had nary a moment to share them with you fine folks. Some spots however demand that time be made, and I count Sichuan Pavilion among their number. This place is the cat's pajamas, for real.


also, sorry for the lack of pictures, but every time I've been my priorities have been elsewhere - namely eating.

Nestled next to the Radio Shack on K St. between 18th and 19th, Sichuan Pavilion falls decidedly at the good end of the Chinese food quality scale I laid out a while back. Which is to say not greasy, not stuffed with MSG, and above all, not Americanized. I was brought there initially by my friend Bo, whose friend's friend (who was actually from China) had said it was far and away the finest Chinese food he had been able found in the city. Usually these friend-of-a-friend arrangements end in tears, but considering it was Foggy Bottom-based (and thusly didn't require a metro ride) I was willing to give it a try. At least I wouldn't have to travel too far to have my hungry hopes dashed on the table. Judging by the tone of the previous paragraph though, I'll leave it to you to figure out how it went.

Every time I've gone, I've ordered the Ma Po Tofu, and boy howdy, if it isn't a little bit of terrific. I was jumped in to the Ma Po Tofu game by my friend Taylor, when we went to Bob's Noodle 66 out in Rockville back in November, and it has quickly become my go-to dish at Chinese restaurants that serve, you know, actual Chinese food. There is something about the spicy, gooey goodness that I just can't get enough of. I've also tried a few of my friends' dishes, and they were all on point as well. In fact, I imagine it's all pretty good. You can check the menu here, if you're so inclined.

The restaurant itself is best described as rich. Replete with sumptuous red carpets and Shan Shui on the walls, even without the food the experience alone would be well worth the $15 you will likely end up spending. The service is terrific. Even the tea you get with your meal seems more flavorful than usual.

I may sound like a proud mother, but Sichuan Pavilion sits securely among the best eateries that I've stumbled upon during my time in DC, high-end or not. So, considering the pittance they ask in return for what is easily some of the finest Chinese you will have in this city, It would be criminal for you not to at least check it out. Just make sure to give me a call when you do, because I'm always down for a trip to the Pavilion.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wish i could read that other comment but my mandarin is rusty..... sounds like a terrific place perhaps you should take us some time. jku