Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Check it Out: Guajillo


For starters, don’t get me wrong, I love Chipotle and Qdoba (and honestly, who doesn’t). Occasionally though, I am in the mood for “real” Mexican food, and when that particular craving strikes, fast food Mexican just won’t cut it. At times such as this, for my money, the place to go is Guajillo (pronounced Wa-Hee-Yo), a little gem of a Mexican joint located in Rosslyn at 1727 Wilson Blvd (astoundingly in the same mini-strip mall as Pho 75 and Ray’s Hell Burger).

I have been a handful of times, and let me tell you, this place is the real deal. Their food is delicious and affordable. The atmosphere is friendly and cheerful (I went this past Cinco de Mayo, and the place exuded a festive, welcoming spirit that encouraged everyone to celebrate together). The wait staff is knowledgeable and accommodating.


To say that the food itself is mouth-wateringly good, would be selling it short. When I went last I ordered a Beef Chimichanga, and it was spectacular. The lightly fried tortilla had a good balance of fillings, not letting one overpower the rest, and it came with ample portions of salsa, guacamole, and sour cream on the side.

And as if you weren’t sold yet, it was reasonably priced. For $10 you get a solid meal (or, if you aren’t feeling ravenous an excellent lunch or snack for the next day). Being particularly averse to Tequila I cannot comment on their margaritas (though I heard they were strong), so I personally paired my Chimichanga with a fine Modelo Especial beer (my favorite Mexican beer) and it complimented my meal nicely.

If you’re searching for a fun, friendly, delicious Mexican food experience, take a trip south of the (DC) border and check out Guajillo.

1 comment:

Jose said...

Guajillo has fairly accurate Mexican food but it is easily beat by the more authentic and less expensive El Charrito, also located in Arlington.